[Job ID Number: 37301]
About the Office
The Mayor’s Office of Immigrant Affairs (MOIA) promotes the well-being of immigrant communities by recommending policies and programs that facilitate successful integration of immigrant New Yorkers into the civic, economic, and cultural life of the City. MOIA is one of the lead agencies for IDNYC, New York City’s successful municipal ID program and spearheads a number of other initiatives to expand equity and empowerment for immigrant communities. The work of the Office cuts across a broad range of issues citywide—for example, workers’ rights, health equity, and language access—and MOIA works closely with sister cities around the country to promote immigrant inclusion.
The Adams’ Administration is committed to expanding language access and language justice and is launching an exciting new initiative to expand the City’s capacity to provide multilingual services to New Yorkers who speak languages other than English. One aspect of this initiative is to expand MOIA’s Language Services Team in order to nimbly provide high-quality translation and interpretation services to MOIA, Mayoral Offices, and City Hall and share best practices with city agencies. Established in 2016, MOIA’s Language Services Team has ensured that materials are translated, events are accessible to limited English speakers through the presence of in-person interpreters, and staff have access to telephonic interpretation 24/7.
About the Role
Under the direction of the Language Services Manager, the Language Access Specialist will translate materials into Urdu, serve as liaison to the Urdu-speaking community, and advise city agencies on how to effectively communicate with Urdu speakers.
This is an exciting opportunity for language services professionals looking to make an impact improving language access within New York City government.
Typical tasks include:
- Translate a vast range of communication materials, working with Computer-Assisted Translation (CAT) tools. Materials include but are not limited to website content, fact sheets, flyers, information on services, social media posts, press releases, PowerPoint presentations, marketing campaigns, subtitles for videos, etc.
- Review translated materials for accuracy and consistency and appropriateness for the target communities; recommend and/or provide edits
- Serve as a Language Access Liaison to Urdu-speaking immigrant community, which includes understanding language needs, and how to communicate effectively with the community
- Advise City agencies on best practices to communicate effectively with Urdu speakers; develop and disseminate guidance materials and conduct presentations as needed
- Engage community and key stakeholders to develop style guides, glossaries, and other tools to improve the quality of translations
- Engage with community-based organizations on translations and content to get feedback
- Provide other support to the Language Services Team as needed by helping to train staff on language services, providing technical assistance on language services best practices to other city agencies, attending community events requiring interpretation to help set up, distribute, and collect interpretation equipment, and coordinate interpreters, assisting with social media communications, voiceovers, project management, and typesetting
- Attend and support external-facing events and meetings with Urdu-speaking communities
- Assist with monthly and yearly reporting of translation indicators
- Support other projects, as necessary
- Work occasional evenings
- Experience serving immigrant communities
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college of university
- Converse and write fluently in English and have native fluency in Urdu
- Two years of experience in translation, or a bachelor’s degree in Translation and at least one year of experience in English to Urdu translation
- Ability to communicate complex messages clearly and simply to diverse New York City audiences
- Ability to prioritize and work in fast-paced environment with firm deadlines
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Familiarity with language usage among communities of New York City
- Capacity and willingness to learn CAT tools, such as SDL Trados Studio and MultiTerm
- Familiarity with graphic design applications (e.g., Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, etc.) preferred
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with WebEx, Zoom and/or Microsoft Teams preferred
- Fluency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Diplomacy, tact, excellent judgment, and cultural awareness
- Self-starter who can take initiative and work both individually and collaboratively as part of a team
- Ability to receive feedback
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Please send a copy of your resume, a cover letter, and three (3) references to Candidate Application
New York City Residency Is Required Within 90 Days of Appointment
The City of New York is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Full job description: https://a002-oom03.nyc.gov/IRM/Handlers/Campaign/Attachments.ashx?attachmentId=27827799-64d8-4aef-bfa4-26e5f2c1b2a7