Under the direction of the Director of Language Services, the Language Access Hub Manager will
coordinate and supervise a team of language access specialists, who will translate materials, review
translated materials, and serve as liaisons to the communities that speak their language; provide project management and client-facing support; and provide operational support for the Director. The Manager will contribute to the growth and improvement of the Language Services Team and its capacity to deliver culturally aware translation and interpretation services for MOIA and Mayoral Office colleagues.
This is an exciting opportunity for language services professionals looking to make an impact improving language access within New York City government.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
Manage language access specialists
- Supervise a team of language access specialists who speak and write fluently in different languages; who will translate materials and engage with specific language communities to ensure translations are appropriate; and who will advise agencies on best practices for working with specific language groups
- Coordinate assignment of projects across language access specialists to ensure that the team meets goals for service delivery
- Troubleshoot issues
- Assist in recruiting, hiring, and training language access specialists
- Coordinate implementation of Computer-Assisted Translation (CAT) tools and localization management tools (Trados, Smartling)
- Oversee team’s development of linguistic tools (glossaries, style sheets, etc.)
- Liaise with City clients, partners, and linguistic resources (vendors and internal staff)
- Manage end-to-end translation and localization projects
- Respond to requests
- Coordinate with internal linguists, typesetters, and external vendors
- Process, track and troubleshoot projects
- Communicate status of projects to requesters and supervisors
- Deliver final translations following project instructions and guidelines
- Coordinate interpretation requests
- Attend events requiring interpretation to coordinate interpreters, set up and distribute equipment
- Assist with technical support for virtual interpretation events through Zoom, WebEx, Teams, etc.
- Build and maintain resources to improve language service delivery (style guides, glossaries, term
bases, translation memories, etc.)
- Assist in translating, editing and typesetting materials (target language depends on the specialization of the candidate – see qualifications).
- Oversee the quality, consistency, and continuous improvement of language services.
- Give annual and on-demand trainings to MOIA and Mayoral Offices.
- Provide technical assistance on language access/services to MOIA, Mayoral Offices, City Hall, and city agencies.
- Serve as the point person for urgent and rapid response requests that may occur after hours and
during weekends, possibly in rotation with other Language Services Team staff.
- Support Director to improve and institutionalize workflows
- Support Director in managing and procuring contracted language services
- Collect and maintain performance data on the team’s operations and produce reports
- Reconcile invoices from multiple language service providers
- Track and analyze demand for services and budget
- Assist in the provision of language services and trainings across other mayoral offices
- Assist with monthly and yearly reporting of translation and interpretation indicators
- Assist with other language access projects, as needed
- Provide recommendations for expansion of services and of the Language Services Team
The full description is posted here