- The IB provides all its services and documents in English, French and Spanish and a limited set of documents in additional languages such as Arabic, Chinese, German, Japanese. The Multilingual Editorial Production department (MEP) provides editorial, production and translation services to the whole of the organization to support the IB’s external stakeholders in the IB languages.
- Within MEP, the French Translator carries out translation, revision and other quality control tasks for a variety of individual projects, ensuring that the translations are completed on time, in accordance with the department’s quality assurance framework and providing feedback to other translators as needed.
- The job holder contributes to the maintenance of the department’s quality assurance assets for French, such as house style guides and glossaries.
- The translator acts as an advisor for the French language to all content authoring departments and colleagues from MEP.
- Revises the translations into French of documents and other IB materials produced by external translators and other members of the team, using a suitable level of intervention, to ensure the accuracy, quality and consistency of translated materials.
- Evaluates the performance of translators, providing supporting comments on changes made to the translated text as part of the QA framework.
- Conducts necessary research on meaning and terminology to support revision, including raising translation queries for authors and external experts or answering translators’ queries wherever possible.
- Translates documents and other IB materials into French accurately and faithfully.
- Uses support materials such as CAT tools, termbases, glossaries and reference materials effectively.
- Proofreads individual documents to ensure their readiness for publication.
- Contributes to the maintenance of the French house style guide, glossaries, translation memories and term bases through appropriate research and consultation.
- Assists in the recruitment and training of freelancers and new members of the team.
- Provides cultural insight to other IB staff to ensure the translatability and international mindedness of projects and publications.
- Contributes to the delivery of French QA training sessions for freelancers and IB staff.
- University graduate (Master’s) and qualified translator
- Sound experience as French translator (at least two years in an in-house position)
- Proven translation and editing skills
- Excellent command of English, to be able to interpret complex texts correctly and with minimal assistance
- Excellent command of the French language, equivalent to that of an educated native speaker
- Knowledge of French language spoken in other countries apart from France (especially Canadian French)
- Good knowledge of other IB languages will be beneficial
- High level of computer literacy, including experience with CAT tools
- Good analytical skills
- Excellent eye for detail with good communication and organizational skills
- Able to work independently and proactively, and to meet deadlines.
*The IB is an equal opportunity employer. It provides employment opportunities to employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, ethnicity, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic status, or status in any group protected by federal, state, or local laws.*
"This job is offered on local terms and conditions and is at will."